Thursday, February 5, 2009

Rainforest Moments

It came in a dark brown, almost black bamboo wrapping that was a work of art in itself, and for that reason alone it stayed unpacked for over a year. A long slim cylinder of bamboo sheath in which, my intrepid trekker husband told me, was an exquisite tribal tea that had been smoked over the fire for god knows how many moons. The top was crossed over and tied with a thin sliver of bamboo ribbon, carefully tied into a bow. It was a ceremonial gift, from the village elder to an honoured guest.

Tea? From the rainforests of North East India? I was curious. Whatever was inside was rock hard, you could have knocked me over with it. Oh, you just need to shave off how ever much you need, I was told indulgently. I put it aside, rather fascinated with the whole thing, not too curious to experiment.

And then one languid Sunday afternoon, I discovered we were out of coffee. It was the perfect moment for the rainforest tea. Gently, with much curiosity, I opened up the bamboo sheath, and scraped off a small amount into the water I had put to boil.

Within minutes, the water turned a deep orange-red gold, and a thick woody aroma filled the air. On the point of pouring the milk in, I changed my mind. It would be a shame to mask the flavour. Lemon? I wondered, then decided to leave that too, for another time.

It tasted of the rainforest. Intense, rich, with depths and notes I wouldn’t have imagined in a tea. Notes created by an assortment of forest herbs, gathered at just the right time and blended together in just the right proportions, and then hung over the fire for months to let steam and smoke do their job… Each family apparently had their signature blends, and this was surely from a connoisseur…

The TV seemed a sacrilege, and I turned it off. I needed silence, and solitude, to savour this. And space… Quietly I picked up my cup, and went outside to the green of the garden.

Light years later, I reverentially wrapped the bamboo sheath back in place, wishing I had a strip of green bamboo ribbon to tie it up with.

It held my own private stock of rainforest moments.


12 comments:

  1. Beautiful article Atthe! I can literally taste the tea...hear the birds and feel the smell of wet earth! Super...me waits eagerly for more :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sid! Will share a cup with you sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. Keep em coming. And let's see some of your world-renowned pictures also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also my stock of rainforest moments! Am staking my claim. Super! Now need more posts... :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im am able to imagine the taste of the tea with your description! Very well written! :)

    p.s. Im Divya's class mate :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you drop in before my precious stock runs out, I could make you a cuppa...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am I invited for he chai too ?:) The blog is great...........both the writing anfd pictures.....very interesting !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey kalyani-your evocative writing nudged me to read more of your published articles,but could'nt access them-sense your happiness and joy and am looking forward to reading more of your travels and viewing the pictures you have taken.really great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Asha! Sorry about the links - have fixed them now so they work! Do read, and would love to hear your views. And yes, I find I am happiest when i am traveling, writing and photographing!

    ReplyDelete